Thursday, March 1, 2007

In class on Wednesday, I learned...

...that I should never ever be a producer. In fact, I don't think I even want to go to Hollywood!

I was half of "Sprocket Productions" (and not the better half, lol). We were a low-budget production company, which didn't bother me at first... Then I took a look at our list of expenses. At 9 in the morning, my mental math abilities are certainly not at their peak. As I tried to add in different items and figure out how much we could pay actors and actresses and writers, all I could think was, "Why did I get out of bed...?"

And then writers approached. We had to decide what stories we liked and who we wanted to make a deal with and whether or not we could get actors for the storyline and whether or not we would be able to pay those actors and what if one of the actors signed with another company too and ahhh!!! Of course, I was also worried about how other writers would feel when we turned them down, because that's just how I am--I'm always worried about hurting someone else's feelings, even in a situation like this where it clearly does not matter. I think that was the worst part for me--I wanted to say yes to everyone!

I would never ever ever make it as a producer. I hate making important decisions--especially decisions that involve large amounts of money. Come to think of it, I don't even like to spend large amounts of money. 40 million dollars?!?! And that's cosidered "low budget"? oy.

One question that I still have about this whole process... As producers, the writers and actors approached us. Is this how it works? Or were we supposed to be approaching them? Do the producers seek out writers who have ideas that they want to promote, or do the writers seek out producers who will support their ideas?

1 comment:

ryddagrl said...

hey, just wondering what the results were from wed. adventure. lol. i looked and i can't find them on his blog? oh, and i liked ur thots on that day and i felt that way in the beginning to, i def. couldn't remember why i got up in the frst place. lol. well, have agreat break. later.