Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Nancy Drew, Super Sleuth

Last week in class, when we were prompted to write about a "formative media text," the only thing that came to my mind was Seseme Street. Unfortunately, I really didn't want to write about Seseme Street.

But today...today I remembered...
Once upon a time, I was an avid reader of Nancy Drew mysteries.

Nancy was "the young sleuth" who always had a "hunch," could track down any criminal without losing her "pumps," and could get out of even the tightest scrape with a little help from the contents of her purse.

From my 9-year-old perspective, Nancy Drew had it all--brains, looks, her two best "chums" Bess and George, and a gorgeous boyfriend, Ned. I loved reading and re-reading as she repeatedly solved each case.

Nancy Drew Mysteries helped to spark my love for reading, and of course, provided me with an image of a smart, beautiful, successful girl, whose adventures could (for a few short days at a time) become my own.

1 comment:

*~*Missy*~* said...

Nancy Drew books how could I forget them??? They seemed to encourage a young girls mind to think outside of the confines of who "she is" to who "she could be". Great blog... totally cannot forget about those amazing adventures...lol